Perry Hall is located in Northeast Baltimore County. It is a prominent community with many businesses. Its boundaries are often confused with that of White Marsh because they share many things, including White Marsh Mall. Even though it is named White Marsh Mall, Perry Hall and White Marsh boundaries cut through the mall. Most people know that Perry Hall is a old town. The town was established before it was called Perry Hall.
Perry Hall has had many names, Germantown being one. The town was finally called Perry Hall in 1775 after Perry Hall mansion, started by Corbin Lee and finished by Harry Dorsey Gough. Gough named it after his home Staffordshire, England Perry Hall.Perry Halls earliest records of settlement are the Susquehannock Indians. The Susquehannock Indians settled near what was then called Gunpowder River Valley; now called Gunpowder Falls State Park. In 1608, Captain John Smith lead the first European exploration of Gunpowder River Valley.
In 1658, the first Europeans began to settle in the Gunpowder River Valley. In 1669, Henry Howard acquired 200 acres of land, later called Cullenbourne. In 1681, George Lingan purchased 1,000 acres of land near Great Gunpowder Falls, which will become later the Perry Hall estate.
In 1697, one of the Indian sightings in Baltimore County was recorded, when Charles Hewitt testified that Susquehannock Indians raided his home During the time of 1700-1759 things began to fall into place in this small town of what is now Perry Hall. Industries were starting, such as forges, furnaces, and farms. In 1729, The Maryland General Assembly created Baltimore Town, later becoming Baltimore County. In 1731, The Baltimore Company opened the regions first iron furnace in Gwynns Falls. In 1749, a flood swept through The Great Gunpowder Falls region and destroys many buildings, including the Gunpowder Iron Works.
Also in 1749, Nottingham Furnace was up and running. In 1752, a devastating fire destroyed Nottingham Furnace. In 1754, Baltimore County Court granted Selah Barton to operate a ferry over Long Calm at the Great Gunpowder Falls. In 1757, the Nottingham Forge was opened on the Great Gunpowder Falls. In 1759, Cullenbourne was sold to the Nottingham Company.
During the years of 1760-1850, Perry Hall was going through a religious revolution, also the town was still going through its industrial period. In 1760, Robert Strawbridge, a Methodist missionary, went to northeastern Baltimore County and converted many slaves and backcountry residents. In 1774, Harry Dorsey Gough purchased the 1,000 acres, once owned by George Lingan, and renames it Perry Hall. In 1780, Nottingham Furnace and Forge was confiscated as British Property. In 1784, the Methodist church was formally organized and Francis Asbury was named bishop.
In 1807, Camp Meeting Chapel was built. In 1880, Harry Dorsey Gough died, he was born in 1745. In 1812, the first cannon fires were heard in Perry Hall during the British invasion of Baltimore. In 1814, Gunpowder Copper Works was up and running, producing materials for the U.S. Navy during the War of 1812. In 1817, the Joppa Iron Works is operating. In 1824, fire destroyed the Perry Hall mansion.
In 1832, fire destroyed the Joppa Iron Works. In 1848, Camp Chapel closed until 1850. During the time between 1850-1900, Perry Hall was called Germantown.
This was when German and Irish immigrants settled in Perry Hall, also when new religions were introduced to the people of Perry Hall. In 1850, Catholics began to congregate at the Krastel farmhouse, this represent the start of St. Josephs Roman Catholic Church. The year 1852 was the turning point in local history, when Harry Dorsey Gough Carroll, Harry Dorsey Goughs grandson, sold the Perry Hall estate to Eli Slifer and William Meredith. They divided the estate between new European immigrants. In 1858, the dam at Long Calm due to flooding and destroys Gunpowder Furnace.
In 1859, Lutherans begin organizing St. Michael Lutheran Church. In 1866, Baltimore City purchased the Gunpowder Copper Works. In 1874, Baltimore Countys commissioners approve the first public school in Germantown. In 1876, the Akehurst family began Perry Halls first nursery. In 1877, George Penn became Germantowns first postmaster. In 1878, local residents organized Germantown Building and Loan. A second Perry Hall